Department of Computer Science & Engineering * NBA ACCREDITED PROGRAMME
The Department of Computer Science was officially established in the year 2001 with the commencement of a B. Tech. programme in Computer Science & Engineering.
Department currently offers the following programmes and the programmes are affiliated to the A.P.J. Abdul Kalam Technological University, Trivandrum, Kerala
• B.Tech. programme in Computer Science & Engineering- Intake of 180 students
• M.Tech. programme in Computer Science with specialization in Information Systems- Intake of 18 students
• Ph.D. Programme
The main goal of the department is to enhance the principles of computer science and engineering in order to meet societal needs. Department plays a vital role in nurturing students with up-to-date knowledge in Computer Science & Engineering. The students are placed in prestigious companies like Microsoft, IBM, Amazon, etc. Throughout their studies, the students are exposed to a range of options, including international internships, hands on training, bridge courses, add- on courses and workshops for uplifting the students to meet the growing needs of the industry.
Department plays a vital role in nurturing students with up-to-date knowledge in Computer Science & Engineering. The department is open to a variety of very promising activities on a regular basis, including hackathons, faculty development programmes, industry-interactions, Social activities, etc. The International Conference on Advances in Computing and Communications (ICACC), which is conducted in a yearly manner, is a forum for the students and faculty to interact with eminent researchers and explore the upcoming trends in Computer Science.
Theoretical computer science, data mining, image processing, natural language processing, computer networking, computer architecture, and computer security are just a few of the research fields in which the faculty members are active. U.G. and P.G. students are also encouraged to participate in these research activities.
To become a Centre of Excellence in Computer Science & Engineering, moulding professionals catering to the research and professional needs of national and international organizations.
To inspire and nurture students, with up-to-date knowledge in Computer Science & Engineering, ethics, team spirit, leadership abilities, innovation and creativity to come out with solutions meeting societal needs.
PROGRAMME EDUCATIONAL OBJECTIVES(PEO)
PEO 1: Graduates shall have up-to-date knowledge in Computer Science & Engineering along with interdisciplinary and broad knowledge on mathematics, science, management and allied engineering to become computer professionals, scientists and researchers.
PEO 2: Graduates shall excel in analysing, designing and solving engineering problems and have life-long learning skills, to develop computer applications and systems, resulting in the betterment of the society.
PEO 3: Graduates shall nurture team spirit, ethics, social values, skills on communication and leadership, enabling them to become leaders, entrepreneurs and social reformers.
PROGRAMME OUTCOMES (PO)
Engineering Graduates will be able to:
1. Engineering Knowledge: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals, and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems.
2. Problem analysis: Identify, formulate, review research literature, and analyze complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences, and engineering sciences.
3. Design/development of solutions: Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
4. Conduct investigations of complex problems: Use research-based knowledge including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions.
5. Modern Tool Usage: Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modeling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
6. The engineer and society: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal, and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice.
7. Environment and sustainability: Understand the impact of the professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development.
8. Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice.
9. Individual and Team work: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
10. Communication: Communicate effectively with the engineering community and with society at large. Be able to comprehend and write effective reports documentation. Make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
11. Project management and finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of engineering and management principles and apply these to one's own work, as a member and leader in a team. Manage projects in multidisciplinary environments.
12. Life-long learning: Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and lifelong learning in the broadest context of technological change.
PROGRAM SPECIFIC OUTCOMES (PSOs)
A graduate of the Computer Science and Engineering Program will demonstrate:
PSO1: Computer Science Specific Skills:
• The ability to identify, analyze and design solutions for complex engineering problems in multidisciplinary areas by understanding the core principles and concepts of computer science and thereby engage in national grand challenges.
PSO2: Programming and Software Development Skills
• The ability to acquire programming efficiency by designing algorithms and applying standard practices in software project development to deliver quality software products meeting the demands of the industry.
PSO3: Professional Skills:
• The ability to apply the fundamentals of computer science in competitive research and to develop innovative products to meet the societal needs thereby evolving as an eminent researcher and entrepreneur.